The Naruto Text Based Role Playing Game
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:23 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Get Fucked Sunagakure
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:42 pm 
Raikage
Raikage

TotalExp: 0
They walked for awhile, until Shang was sure they were out of earshot, before he began to speak. He turned his head, his eyes gazing at the Samurai from under his newly acquired hat. He had never worn a hat before, and he was beginning to remember why he had avoided that particular article of clothing. Though it protected him from, well, bird shit, he felt like a walking mushroom. He’d jump right into the mission debriefing, hoping to get her to talk to him in his new role before he addressed being in it. ”Lady Shizuka didn’t leave a file on the mission, but she did speak about it, briefly. A raid on Sunagakure. It seemed as though you did some looting, as well.” He stopped for a moment, looking south towards where the border was, taking a deep breath of the fresh, lowland air.

Reflexes: Masterful (Epic Taijutsu)
    Coordination: Masterful (Epic Bukijutsu)
    Wisdom: Epic (Legendary Taijutsu/Legendary Precog Bukijutsu)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:44 pm 
Kumo ANBU
Kumo ANBU

After enough time and distance had passed it seemed Shang was happy with his position, stopping and turning to look at her. She met his gaze confidently, the same way she had looked at Lady Shizuka and Tetsu before her. After he finished she nodded and moved her hands to her back. Producing the tessen and the scythe she placed them on the ground before him.

"Our mission was to attack the resources of Sunagakure. Astora and I destroyed the mines they had at the Glass Plateau." She motioned to the weapons. "These belonged to the Jounin Sahara Satetsu and Yui Sakai who attempted to stop us. I did not kill them but rendered them both unconscious and bound them with rope before we exited the scene. Additionally, there was one more item that I recovered."

The samurai reached among the four sheathes on her left hip and pulled one out of it's holding place. Slowly she unsheathed the weapon and held it out to her side. "I'm not sure if you recognize it but swords are something of a mainstay of samurai legends. This one in particular is the Sword of Kusanagi." In demonstration the samurai extended the blade an additional two meters before retracting it.

"What's more, Lord Shang, is that I am not just your Jounin." She placed Kusanagi among the tessen and scythe and turned her back. She slowly slid the top of her dress down until it revealed the kanji for "Iron" that was branded on her skin. "I'm Kumogakure's Jinchuuriki of the Hachibi as well."

Kenjutsu Master
Taijutsu Expert

Strength: Masterful w/Minor (Tier w/Kenjutsu)
Constitution: Masterful (Epic w/Taijutsu)
Stamina: Masterful
Reflexes: Legendary (Godlike w/Kenjutsu)
Coordination: Godlike (Major Advantage w/Kenjutsu)
Wisdom: Masterful

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 pm 
Raikage
Raikage

Haruko met his gaze as she begun a brief explanation of the events. He found that comforting. She and Astora had defeated two jounin of Sunagakure, no small feat (though he was not particularly well versed on opponents that were not Konohagakure.) They had looted their foes, as he surmised, and the glass plateu was perhaps more accurately named the glass rubble at this point. Shang wondered at the utility of mining glass, but said nothing. Then she showed him something really special, a legendary blade once held by Orochimaru, and then later Uchiha Sasuke. Shang made a satisfied noise at that. ”Incredible… One of the Legendary swords of Konoha, ironically fallen into our hands. I wonder how it made it into the hands of Sunagakure.” Any step taken to weaken Konoha, even if it was by perception, was enough to make the aging Monk happy.

But that wasn’t all. It appeared that Lady Shizuka had gained control of the Gyubi, that ancient weapon of Kumogakure… And had sealed it in Haruko. ”Well then. That is a powerful weapon, Haruko. I trust that you know what you have gotten yourself into.” Constantly a target for foreign actors infatuated with power. But she was strong enough to guard it, if her results in Sunagakure was anything to judge by. ”Did Lady Shizuka use the Iron Armor Seal, or did she create one?”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:10 pm 
Kumo ANBU
Kumo ANBU

As Shang released his sound of approval, Haruko nodded appreciatively. "It was among Yui's belongings. She, like yourself, is a monk so I assume that sometime in the past the sword ended up in Sunagakure's monasteries somehow." She wondered how he would feel knowing that one of the foes that she had bested was of his ilk. The way he spoke the last time they met she thought he wouldn't mind all that much. His ties to the Buddha were troubled at best and likely more so now that he was appointed the title of Kage. To be placed in charge of the village right at the forefront of war, she did not envy the man's position.

Pulling her dress back up, Haruko bent down to retrieve Kusanagi and placed it back among her other swords. "It is merely the Iron Armor Seal. Lady Shizuka had said she planned to give me a better seal later down the road however that seems to no longer be possible." Picking up the large scythe that Yui had used in their fight, Haruko couldn't help but remember the woman's eyes in the final moments before she lost consciousness. They had almost looked thankful. She placed the scythe across her back once more, wedging it between the sheathe of her massive Banryu.

"As I told Lady Shizuka when she asked me to carry this, anything I can do for the betterment of the village I will not hesitate to do so. While this may not be my birthplace it has become my home and I refuse to allow it to fall under the same fate as my homeland."

Kenjutsu Master
Taijutsu Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 pm 
Raikage
Raikage

Shang hmm’d as she finished. ”I would expect nothing less, from any of us,” he said, referring to the higher ranking Shinobi in the village. ”We will have to do something about that, I will focus my future studies on learning fuuinjutsu for you. Speaking of Lady Shizuka, if you’re curious to what happened, it appears she has fallen into a coma.” He was silent for a second. ”Before that she named me her successor. She planned to lead a raid on Kemurigakure to help the forces there, and in the event of her death… Well, she didn’t get the chance. Shortly after that, she collapsed.” Shang didn’t understand that, at all, and thought that it was a foolish decision. He grimaced. ”The secretary was there to witness it.” He felt particularly awkward, having pontificated on why he hadn’t risen in rank with the woman not more than a few days prior. It was easy to see how fortuitous the sudden change in fortune appeared to be.

”Regardless, I do not wish to help Kemurigakure. No more than is necessary to maintain the balance of power.” They had, in fact, been one of the villages that aided Konohagakure in Kumogakure’s subjugation. ”And, even if they lose – we can always help free them from their tyrants. They will love us more, then.” He did his best to hide the disdain in his voice – as if to say we made it on our own, they should, too.

”But, your mission will bring ire on us, unless the Chikamatsu has lost his teeth. And nothing about him suggests such to me. I do not hold you accountable, I appreciate that you carried out Lady Shizuka’s orders, and with zeal.” He paused for a moment and took another breath of that fresh air. This looked, under that Machiavellian perspective, even worse. Like he was buying loyalty. ”In fact, I’d like to promote you to Anbu. I think you have proved yourself capable, and worthy of trust to Lady Shizuka. And no one can deny that she was a hero.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 am 
Kumo ANBU
Kumo ANBU

The last thing she had expected was for Shang to say he would undertake learning Fuuinjutsu for her sake. Her blue eyes widened in surprise before she humbly nodded. "Thank you, Lord Shang. I appreciate that you would go to those kind of lengths for my sake." She flashed him a genuine smile but was cut short when he brought up the fate that befell Lady Shizuka. She had apparently fallen into some kind of coma and it was severe enough that a new Raikage had to be put in place. It wasn't the same as when Tetsu had been the leader of Kumogakure, there was no "Interim" tag thrown on Shang's title. He was the rightful and definitive head of the village.

"That's a very pragmatic stance. I can't say I disagree with it." She replied to his stance on helping the Land of Smoke. It would then come to the forefront that her actions under the previous Kage would leave a bad taste in the mouths of Suna and Konohagakure. Attacked while occupied elsewhere, that kind of thing didn't sit well with anyone, let alone the Chikamatsu. She had only seen his aura in person once but that was enough to know that he was no foe she wanted though likely a foe she had brought upon herself.

A small gasp escaped her lips. "I...thank you." Was all she could say. The small journey to find the new Kage, the walk with him to this point, the primary focus of her thoughts had been how he would accept her into his military. To suddenly be given the right to be one of the village's ANBU, the select warriors that were meant to deal with things of the utmost importance, it was an honor she did not believe deserved. "I will bear that duty with pride. If I may ask, Lord Shang. Astora has proven himself to be a loyal warrior and moreso, he has a drive that I do not believe is deserving of the title of Genin. He fought one on one with Sahara Satetsu, the clan head of the Satetsu and managed to hold his own for longer than he should have. I would like to ask he also be promoted."

She felt slightly uncomfortable going from the big news of her own to asking a favor from the newly appointed man. If Lady Shizuka had been around though, she would've asked the same of the woman. Astora did face down a Jounin with no fear in his eyes or heart and fought as such. That display of courage felt worthy of reward to the samurai. Despite that it was up to the monk in front of her in the end.

Kenjutsu Master
Taijutsu Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 am 
Raikage
Raikage

”Think nothing of it,” he said. What went unsaid was that the better integrated she was with her bijuu, the better a weapon she would be, held to the throats of their enemies.

It was good that she agreed with him – being one of the villages foremost warriors gave her the option of swaying public opinion against him, if she so wanted. They had used this tactic against Konohagakure many times in the War of Independence – target a renowned warrior, take his allies down with the most brutal methods available, and hope they returned home with stories of tragedies enough to make their allies knees go weak, and the populace lose faith. Influential voices held power, or so he had been taught by his commanders.

She thanked him for the honor, but saved most of her words for her student: she was requesting that he, too, would be promoted. He had apparently gone toe to toe with a jounin and lived to tell the tale. An impressive feat. ”Of course, he has been to war, he deserves it.” His mind hearkened back to their conversation a few days prior. ”I would, of course, like to meet him first, and speak about being a Monk, and the choices he needs to make. Assuming he doesn’t do anything egregious, I will be more than happy to promote him.” He thought of his idea to promote his students, and suddenly it didn’t seem as fair to promote such green boys in the face of what Astora had accomplished. ”I was considering something similar for my own students… But as their sensei, I fear that I may be biased. I would hate to put them in a position where they get themselves hurt. Or worse, someone else.”

”I fear that will have to wait. Tell me, I know most of their strength was likely marching towards Kemurigakure,” he asked, unaware of the unmitigated disaster that was this first attack. ”But how did you find Sunagakure’s strength? I know of Yui, but have never faced her in battle. And this Sahara – did she wield the vaunted Iron Sand that one hears so much about in the histories?”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:49 am 
Kumo ANBU
Kumo ANBU

It seemed that Shang shared her view on Astora's actions speaking loud enough to warrant his promotion. It was a relief then to know that he would be getting his own honor. If she were to be promoted to ANBU then her time with Astora would surely be cut into in some fashion but if he were a Chuunin that would allow him some freedom to go on missions of his own and even lead Genin in some cases. "Of course, he should be waiting for us back with your students. If not then he returned home early and I will call for him when we make our way back to the village. I look forward to you two having that talk. I haven't forgotten of the talk you'd like me to have with your student either."

Conversation turning to a more strategic course, Haruko shook her head when asked if Sahara used iron sand. "The Satetsu used normal sand though I'm not sure if that was due to the abruptness of our attack or if that is simply her preferred style. With due respect to both of the Jounin we fought I can't say that it was entirely too difficult. I took out Sahara with a single strike and Yui the same though the latter lasted longer than the former. They were slower, less dexterous, I assume it's simply because they have more to worry about than physical attributes. In a battle of bodies I outclassed them both. The two of them couldn't react to my movements in time to stop my swords." She said this with no hint of boasting or bragging, just a simple statement of facts. Sahara didn't have the chance to react to her assault and Yui, though she fought hard, fell into the same category.

Kenjutsu Master
Taijutsu Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:54 am 
Raikage
Raikage

There was a vague agreement to talk to each others students, but Shang was mostly interested in the capabilities of the enemies they were facing. It seemed that they were inferior, at least in the ways that mattered, to the Samurai. She made a point about them having to focus on things other than just physical training. For the Satetsu, Shang agreed – he had a feeling he would be experiencing similar obstacles with his attempt at ninjutsu training. Perhaps Yui had made other priorities that kept her from being the Monk Shang had assumed she would be – or perhaps she, unlike him, didn’t come from a monastery that served the God of War.

Still, he had read much of Haruko’s file. She outclassed him in physical prowess and he wasn’t comfortable reading too much into her subjective experience. ”With this strike, you have put Kumogakure on the map. I will need to begin mobilizing all our available forces and put them on notice. I haven’t often socialized with the other high ranking shinobi here in Kumogakure.” That would be something, also, that he had to change. The responsibilities piled onto his shoulders, and he only hoped that he could bear them. ”Are there any of note? I would like, if at all possible, to join your student with mine and assign them to a capable jounin captain, if at all possible. A mobile strike force of high skill will be invaluable to us.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:00 am 
Kumo Chunin
Kumo Chunin

After travelling across the countryside over the last couple of days, the warrior monk's body and mind were at their limit, and he wasn't able to keep up with his sensei. Excuses aside, he probably wouldn't have been able to keep up at his full energy either. She was at a level that Astora had only glimpsed a couple of times in his life. After briefly running through the village, he had witnessed Haruko exit towards a training ground, and then head towards the rolling hills of Takagamahara. Although several minutes had passed since his sensei had gotten there, he would dash into view; landing on one knee to show respect towards his sensei and their new kage. "Astora reporting in." The young monk would then rise from his kneeling position to stand up straight and meet their gaze. He hadn't heard any of what they were discussing, and hoped that he hadn't ruined a moment or anything of the like.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I hope I wasn't interrupting." He would wait a couple of seconds to see if either of them would tell him to leave. Haruko had told him he was welcome to join, but showing up after the two of them had already begun to talk could very well change the dynamic in an unwelcome way. If he was indeed welcome to speak, he would give a bow to the tall man in the Kumokage's attire. "It is nice to formally meet you. I hope I can be of continued service to you and the village in the future." His manner of speaking was a little stiff; like when he practiced speeches as head of his clan. There was just something about formality that wasn't fluid with him. Although he was more comfortable showing respect in different ways, he would follow what was the normal custom. He would hate to offend his village's new leader after all.

Taijutsu: Specialist

Strength: Masterful (Epic w/ Taijutsu)
Constitution: Masterful (Epic w/ Taijutsu)
Stamina: Epic
Reflexes: Masterful
Coordination: Masterful

Ryo: 0

Active Character Points: 7900
Unspent Character Points: 300
Total Character Points: 8200

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:00 pm 
Kumo ANBU
Kumo ANBU

Haruko frowned softly as she attempted to remember all of the details of the other higher ranking shinobi that she knew. "Let's see" she began, "there's Wapi, he's an ANBU and samurai as well however I know Shizuka was displeased with his productivity as of late. Hayate, he's a strong fighter and also a distant relative to the Satetsu. He utilizes iron sand and hawk summons and his prowess in Taijutsu isn't that far from my own. The last one to come to mind is Daizo, he's a monk as well. I can't speak much for him however. Our meetings have been short and I have not seen much of him as of late."

After Shang's response to these observations the sound of footfalls could be heard approaching. Turning her head she noticed Astora had come behind them. She was certain that he would have heard Shang's words about she and him walking off alone to debrief the situation but perhaps he was more exhausted than she thought. She turned her eyes to Shang, allowing the man to have the say on if her student should stay or go. This would also prove to show Astora that while she was his teacher, Shang was his leader and his orders superseded her own.

Kenjutsu Master
Taijutsu Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:04 pm 
Raikage
Raikage

”Hmmm. Perhaps Lady Shizuka has been giving them too much leeway.” They sounded like they weren’t the kinds of soldiers he’d need if they were attacked. That kind of lazy entropy was enough to kill a village. ”Well, I’ll see what I can do to get them mobilized.” Shang was about to open his mouth again when Astora walked over to join them. He smiled to the boy and his tenacity. ”Greetings, Astora. You’ve certainly saved me the trouble of tracking you down again. I’m sure you will be one of Kumogakure’s best.” Shang’s eyes flicked over to Haruko, under the rim of his hat, and smiled.

He turned his eyes back to Astora and walked up to him, putting his right hand on his shoulder. ”I’ve heard that you are a Monk. And you have had your first taste of battle.” The hand squeezed ever so tightly. ”Tell me, was it everything that you expected, from this lifestyle?” The Monk wondered where Astora stood in his meditations. Had he discovered those separate selves that made him up, yet? Was he aware of such an amalgamation?

Once he answered that question, Shang would ask another. ”I want a mission debriefing, soldier, from your point of view. How did it go?”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 pm 
Kumo ANBU
Kumo ANBU

Once the two began speaking Haruko realized that her part of the conversation had passed. She had debriefed Shang of the mission and of her, special, role in his military. That role had also been compounded, now a member of the ANBU, an honor she would bear with pride. Waiting for a break in their conversation she would quickly jut in, "I believe that I will leave you two to your talks. Thank you for speaking with Astora, Lord Shang." She bowed and then picked up the tessen that was still lying on the ground. "Astora, when you are finished call for me in the village if you would like to talk. I'm sure the both of us have news to share. If you would like to rest first however I will not say no to that either." She smiled fondly at her student, proud of the progress that he had been making. She waited for confirmation that her leave was okay before finally turning and beginning the long trek back to the village. She almost hoped that Astora would wait until tomorrow, her bed never sounded so pleasant.

[Exit]

Kenjutsu Master
Taijutsu Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 pm 
Kumo Chunin
Kumo Chunin

His new Kage had greeted him with a warm smile and put his hand onto Astora's shoulder; setting a sense of familiarity between the two strangers. He inquired about how it felt to have a real fight while practicing the monk arts. This question pierced right to the heart of Astora's worries and he immediately knew he would have to face those thoughts now. "I was raised by monks and was taught how to fight using their techniques, but I've never really excelled at the spiritual side. Even so, the mission was different than what I thought. The opposing forces were much more honorable than I thought they would be, and there was no clean cut sense of morality." As he spoke, his voice became more confident in the words he was saying. "That being said though, we did what we had to do and completed the mission." It was at this point that his sensei excused herself from the conversation. Astora would nod to her with a smile and a slight wave. "Have a good rest sensei. You deserve it. We'll talk tomorrow!"

The young monk would then return his gaze back to the new Kumokage, who would then ask for a debriefing on the mission. "Overall, the mission was a success. We infiltrated the Sunagakure-controlled glass plateau and were able to destroy all of the mines set up there. This should signifcantly stunt their economy until they can get it fixed up again. That being said, it wasn't a perfect operation. We were intercepted by two seemingly high ranked Sunagakure warriors; one monk, and one shinobi. I was able to distract the shinobi long enough for Haruko-sensei to take the monk down and finish the kunoichi off. All in all, we were able to successfully complete our mission, but we were seen and recognized as hailing from Kumogakure." After he had finished talking Astora realized that he couldn't remember how he had started the conversation to begin with. He wasn't quite used to verbally issuing out reports and felt like maybe he gave too much detail. Maybe not enough? Eh, he couldn't tell anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:10 pm 
Raikage
Raikage

Shang listened tot he younger monk’s report, looking into the boy’s eyes if he would meet him. He ended with news that Shang didn’t like, but hadn’t expected anything different for. They should have captured those Shinobi, brought them back… Maybe then we would have had a bargaining chip to stave off the Kazekage and his ilk. He wouldn’t show it, not to the young monk, but the Sunagakure forces worried him. Led by a legendary shinobi with the power to delete things from the face of existence itself, sending the target straight to Nirvana… Well, that was enough to unnerve any man who was no fool. Still, the knowledge of their involvement was a small enough price to pay for the destruction on Sunagakure. Why Lady Shizuka had chosen them, and not their traditional enemies of Konohagakure, he would never get to know.

”Excellent. From what I heard from your sensei, you truly acquitted yourself well against a superior foe. You know, your sensei really cares for you. She asked me to speak to you on the spiritual side.” He walked over to a nearby log, releasing his hand from the boy’s shoulder, and seated himself, motioning for the boy to do similar. ”I know you must be tired from your mission, but come, let us speak. I was a monk, once upon a time… Though it seems that duty requires me to become far more.”

He paused for a moment. ”Now that we are free from the bonds of our oppressors,” he said, speaking of the Independence War, ”I do not think we will ever have a conflict when there is a clear cut sense of morality. Even if Sunagakure were to attack us tomorrow… It would be self defense, of course, but their attack would be predicated by our own.” That was, of course, ignoring that their own attack was, itself, predicated on Sunagakure's aggressive actions towards Kemurigakure. He waited to see what the boy would say.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:09 am 
Kumo Chunin
Kumo Chunin

The young monk wasn't sure if he deserved the praise his Kage was giving him. It was true he was able to hold off his opponent until Haruko could finish the job, but it had been a losing battle on his end. Along with the compliment, it seemed that Haruko had talked with Shang about Astora's spirtualality. The large man walked over to a log and seemed to imply that he wished Astora to follow suit. Not one to be rude and ignore an offer to sit; the young monk rested his tired body down next to the Kumokage and listened him talk about his new role as the leader of Kumogakure. He hadn't intended to take the role and it was thrust upon him suddenly during this war. Although it wasn't to the same extreme, Astora could relate to the burden of leadership, as he thought back to his family raising him to be the leader of their clan.

Having spoken so much in his mission report, it was time for Astora to continue to listen. Shang spoke about the independence war and what it meant to him as well as the state of their village. He continued by leading into a mention of morality and the lack of a clear black and white within it. A pang shot through Astora's chest as the words resonated within him. "It seems that monks tend to think the same way huh?" Astora would agree as he showed a slightly pained smile on his face. "As I was on the mission it was impossible not to consider if we were truly in the right for making this attack. Sunagakure has outed themselves as our enemy and so logic dictates that we retaliate in order to survive... But that type of balance isn't what I was taught by my monk brethren."

The pain in his chest grew as he fought within his own mind to find the proper words to continue. "I realize that there can be no clean cut answer due to the nature of relativity and the equalizing factors of 'good' and 'evil', but there's always that voice inside trying to find the best path." At this point he wasn't sure if what he was saying was politically correct, but he had decided to speak honestly, and his exhausted mind made it difficult for him to hold anything back. "I don't know if I can ever figure out what's best for the world as a whole, but I'll do my best to do what's best for Kumogakure and it's people." He would look his new Kage in the eyes; his determination shining as brightly as it could.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:11 am 
Raikage
Raikage

The boy – or, perhaps, the young man. Though it hadn’t been particularly brutal, he had still been to war – and war was not the purview of boys. The young man joined him on the makeshift bench, and seemed receptive to what Shang was saying. The image Haruko had painted for him a few days ago, and this was perhaps his own misconception, had left him with the image of a boy who simply didn’t care for the teachings. He was pleasantly surprised to find a young man who, even if he didn’t know the word of the law, was concerned with the spirit of the Buddha.

He ended with that all too classic line about loyalty to the village. It was almost like looking into the past for the aged monk. The conscript had been willing, and all to ready, to throw his life away for the village – or worse, take others, when he learned the price of nonviolence. ”Good and Evil, overrated if you ask me.” The Buddha didn’t seem to agree, unfortunately, and paradoxically neither did Bishamon. ”But I must give you the hard truth, Astora. This life, and that voice that tells you to find the right path, they do not always go well together.” Shang turned his face down to look at the young man’s face. ”It’s all well and good when we fight a people so aggressive as Konoha dogs and their ill-begotten allies. Kyosuke of the Sand is as evil as they come.” He paused for a brief moment, before his bass tones started again. ”But, what will you choose if I have to ask you for more unsavory things. Bomb a marketplace, or a hospital, or commit other acts of terror. What if I need you to assassinate someone?” There was no right or wrong answer to this question, in Shang’s mind. He hoped the young man never had to make the real decision. ”I do not know if I will ever need these things from you, but have you considered it? Which would you choose? The Village, or the Buddha?”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm 
Kumo Chunin
Kumo Chunin

How was he supposed to answer a question like that? The Kumokage talked about the lack of morals that existed in this world that they now lived in. The way of living that the monks had taught him did not perfectly align with the way that they had to live now. What would he do if he was asked to do something unspeakable to civilians or innocent people for the sake of his village? Just destroying another land’s resources gave him inner conflict, but something even more extreme was something he had been trying to avoid thinking about. With the exhaustion of his mind and body, Astora found himself thinking out loud instead of sorting through his thoughts beforehand. “I don’t know what the right answer is. For the sake of my heart and soul, the right answer is to tell you that I wouldn’t be able to do acts such as those. However for the sake of the village and the people I care about, I believe that I would do anything to protect them; even if it means dirtying my hands.”

He left the two options hanging in the air in front of him for a couple of seconds; waiting for the right answer to stick out in his mind. No such thing happened. “I don’t know.” He would conclude. “I could lie about one answer or the other, but I don’t wish to do that. The truth is that at the moment I can’t choose.” Astora was nervous to give this answer to Shang, but hoped that honesty was the right option. He definitely hadn’t expected to go through a morality rollercoaster when he had gotten home, but felt that his mind had expanded because of it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:58 am 
Raikage
Raikage

It took little time for the young man to respond, but when he did, Shang listened patiently as he worked through it. He seemed the very definition of a young man conflicted with a choice, and answered as truthfully as Shang could expect considering the circumstances. Shang remembered his own days as a youth, when he was willing to do anything to get free from the monastery that had constrained him. It seemed so long ago. He felt that, in some way, he was looking at a better man, here in front of him. That gave him hope for the future.

”I’m pleased to hear truth. I see you have mastered Right Speech, at the least.” He let that foment for a moment between the two of them. ”I hope the day never comes when we need to commit such atrocities,” he said, almost to himself. For what, then, would separate us from those Konohagakure dogs? He stood up from the stump and offered a helping hand to what he assumed must be a tired shinobi. ”I thank you for your service, and I’d like to show it in more terrestrial terms. Our village missed the chunin exams almost entirely, so I will be dispensing with the tradition for the time being. From this moment forth, Astora, you are a chunin of Kumogakure. Go on and get some rest. Hopefully this won’t be the last of our discussions on the topic of the Buddha.” His dismissal given, he would listen to what Astora had to say – before heading off towards his disappointed students, to see how they measured up to this young man.

[exit]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:38 pm 
Kumo Chunin
Kumo Chunin

This was so sudden. Out of all of the ways he had thought the conversation would go, this was at the bottom of the list. Completing the mission warranted some sort of reward, but Astora didn't think this was what he would gain as compensation. Not wanting to question his Kage's decision, he would smile and nod his head. "Thank you my Kage. I don't know if I am worthy, but I will do my best to live up to my new title." It seemed like the conversation was done at this point, and the young monk desperately needed sleep. As Shang stood up, Astora would as well. "I enjoyed our talk, I look forward to all of the things you can teach me." He would do a little half-bow before leaving the area and heading back home for so much sweet sleep.

[exit]